Thursday, January 17, 2019

My first time skiing!!!!!

It was a Sunday and the last day at Santa Fe. The only plan for the day was to ski. So there is Ski Santa Fe which is around 45 minutes drive from the city. If you don't wish to drive, there are buses as well from Santa Fe that will take to Ski Santa Fe. There are various ski programs for beginners to advanced skiers. There are rentals as well available. They have private lessons, group lessons, multi day packages, single day packages and programs for kids 3 years and plus. The rentals(except for the helmet) and lift tickets are included in the price for the package but if you choose to take the private or group lessons, you will have to buy helmet, ski, boots & pole rentals and the lift tickets separately. They also have a daycare which was around $90 for half a day, $110 for full day & $30 by the hour and a separate kids area where they can teach kids to ski. If you are someone who has never skied before(like me), you might want to go with the 'Never Ever' package that has 2 lessons in a day plus it includes all the rentals(except helmet) & lift ticket and also costs less than a private or a group lesson.
On the way to Ski Santa Fe!
We reached Ski Santa Fe around 7:30 am. The road to the ski resort was just beautiful. There was snow all around and there were just 2 colors in the surroundings - green and white! If you want to go for the 9 am lesson and if its your first time, I would recommend going a little early as the whole process takes some time. When we reached, we were directed towards the rentals. We filled out a form for each of us skiing and made the payment for the rentals. From there we moved on to the boot rental where we were asked for our shoe sizes and were recommended ski boots based on a size conversion. Next was the ski rental which is given based on the boot size. The boot size and ski size need to match since the boot has to get latched onto the ski. So if you get your boots changed because of a size misfit, do remember to ask about the ski as well. Next was the helmet and then the poles which depends on your height.
Just white and green!
After renting out all the required equipment, it was time to put them on. The helmet was pretty easy. The boots were weird. The rental guys instruct you on how to put the boots on. They were pretty heavy and you feel like you have tied your feet to huge rocks! And your gait automatically changes wearing the heavy boots! Since we had a 20 month old with us, we left her with my mother-in-law at the cafe which was right above the rental place.
We were yet to buy the package to ski. When you buy the package tickets, let them know that you have taken the rentals and they would deduct the rental amount from the package ticket amount. After taking the tickets, we went to the area where everyone was supposed to assemble for the 9 am ski lesson. I think there were around 10 of us including the ski instructor and 2 of them were supposed to shadow the instructor to learn instructing. Each of us from a different field, it was good interacting with them.
When the instructor came, he made us walk up a small slope. Walking up a slope is no major task but walking on an icy slope wearing ski boots with poles and ski in hand, is a task. When you walk on a slope upwards wearing the ski boots, you are supposed to walk on your toes which takes some time getting used to. And when you walk down a slope you are supposed to walk on your heels. He then then taught us how to latch the boots to the ski and made us take a small walk with just one ski. That was pretty easy! Then he made us latch both the boots to the skis and then I felt like my feet couldn't move without slipping!
The slope where beginners learn skiing
 We then made a small circle and we were asked to move for 2 rounds. Was doable again! Then we had to stand parallel and move parallel up a small slope and then ski down. This is where my adventure began! All I did was slip forwards! Everyone else in the batch had completed this and I was still stuck at this when I got one of the woman who was shadowing the instructor as my personal instructor! Fast forward, she gave me a few tips like I should never look down at my skis & instead my gaze should be in the direction I want my skis to move and that the upper body has to be straight lady-like. They were very useful tips! I finally did it and then we took a short water break. Being at high altitudes, you feel tired, thirsty and out of breath easily.
Then there was this area which had an escalator kind of thing that would take you up a slope and you could ski down. This was where all the beginners were being taught. We went up the escalator and then we had to stand in position to ski. They taught us about the pizza to stop the ski. I don't what happened but as soon as they finished with the instructing, I found myself skiing down the slope, almost hitting a tree and falling face down on the ice! My first fall was just as I had imagined it to be! The next time I was about to hit a woman and the next after that the tree again and then I fell quite a few times in the middle of the slope just trying to avoid going fast and hitting something or someone! When I could finally ski, I realized you should never ever look at your skis, keep your upper body straight and when you do the pizza, your weight should be on your legs.
I did not take the second lesson which was in the noon since I wanted to spend some time playing in the snow with my daughter and she was missing us as well. So that was all I could ski but it was something that I think everyone should give a try and it is fun once you get the hang of it.
We had a pizza lunch since there was nothing much vegetarian and then my husband went for the second lesson. I took the little one to build a snowman. She was extremely excited to see snow all around her since it was her first time. We built a snowman, played in the snow, took photographs and before we could realize it was 3 pm. After my husband finished with his lesson, we returned the rentals and were on the way back to the hotel.
We then got a dosa for our daughter from an Indian restaurant called Paper Dosa. And after her dinner, we took the shuttle to Tune-Up Cafe. It was a disaster last meal in Santa Fe. The waitress there didn't get us a drink that we ordered, the food tasted bad, the table was not cleaned and to top it all, we were over billed. I would definitely not recommend this place.
But the day will be in our memories forever with the ski and the snow play with the little one!

No comments:

Post a Comment